Finding Water Where it Doesn’t Belong
As a home or property owner, you know there are a lot of things that can go wrong with your space. Water heaters can break, HVAC systems can stop working, and plumbing can become damaged. In many instances, there is a clear indication of something wrong and you likely know how to fix it. In other cases, it can be harder to find the problem, like when there is a slab leak. Slab or foundation leaks are major issues that need to be corrected as soon as possible to avoid serious damage to your home. For more information about slab leak repair in Indianapolis, IN, dial 317-677-4918 and connect with Grateful Plumber.
Slab Leak Detection and Repair
There is no greater frustration as a homeowner than finding water where it simply shouldn’t be. Added to that frustration is not being able to find the source of the pooling water. When that is the case, you may have a slab leak on your hands. A slab leak happens when damage occurs to the plumbing under your foundation and that water seeps up and into your floors. Can anything be done about it? Yes and things need to be addressed as quickly as possible with this type of leak. So what should you look for and how do you know you need slab leak repair?
- Water Bill Spike: If you are experiencing a leak of any kind, it will show up on your water bills. There is an excess of water leaving your home, which means that your water bills will likely be higher than usual. If there is no way to explain the increased usage of water, then a leak of some kind may be present in your home.
- Water Pooling: When there is a slab leak, water will eventually need to find a place to go that isn’t under the foundation. Start looking for water in and around your home where it doesn’t belong. Water ponding around your foundation line is a serious problem that needs to be addressed quickly.
- Damp Carpet or Floors: Sometimes, water doesn’t move away from the leak, it just pools up around the same spot. When that happens, you may have areas of your carpet that are damp or wet, consistently. If that’s the case, you most definitely have a slab leak that needs to be repaired.
- Mold, Mildew, and Smells: If and when there is a leak, there is more than likely mold not far behind. With a slab leak, you may start to notice mold or mildew in various places around your home. If you can’t find the mold, you may notice a musty or foul odor. In either case, you may need to connect with a plumber for help.
- Decreased Water Pressure: Low water pressure could be another indication of a slab leak. The pipes under your foundation are meant to bring water to and from your house, so when there is damage to those pipes, you’ll notice serious problems throughout the rest of your home.
Now that you know what to look for, your next question to answer is how are slab leaks repaired? More importantly, what is the slab leak repair process? The most effective way to address this problem, unfortunately, is typically to dig into your foundation to where the leak is located. From there, a plumber will replace or patch the problem, then fill the hole that was made. If this sounds expensive, that’s because it can be. Slab leak repair prices can vary from contractor to contractor, but it will generally cost you thousands of dollars to complete.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How much does it cost to repair a slab leak?
- The cost to find a leak will likely cost between $150 and $400. That’s just to find the problem, the cost to actually repair the leak can cost upwards of $2,000. This process includes tearing up the slab, repairing the pipe, and putting everything back, which is why it’s so expensive.
- What causes a slab leak?
- The causes a slab leaks are usually the result of pipes that have corroded or become damaged. Underneath your foundation, there is a series of plumbing and pipes designed to direct water to and from your home. Unfortunately, because of their location, they can corrode or degrade without your knowledge.
- How do you diagnose a slab leak?
- You’ll be able to pick up on certain signs such as overly saturated areas of your floor or spots that may seem softer than usual. You can also tell if there is a leak from the outside of your home. If there are cracks or problem areas throughout your foundation, you may have a leak.
- How do plumbers detect slab leaks?
- Professional plumbers generally have a range of leak detection equipment that they can use in a home. For slab or foundation leaks, they will likely use an acoustic disk and ground microphones to pick up on inconsistencies in your plumbing. This will allow them to find the leak and be able to repair it.
- How serious is a slab leak?
- Slab leaks are serious problems that need to be addressed as soon as possible. Problems like this can and will cause significant damage to your foundation, which in turn can result in serious damages to other parts of your home.
Connect With Our Team Today for More
For more information about slab leak repair in Indianapolis, IN, give Grateful Plumber a call today. Use 317-677-4918 to reach out to one of our plumbers today!